Monday 6 June 2011

Boo on You, Diabetes!

So hear I sit at nearly midnight, having waited up to check Ezekiel's blood sugar. Having recently learned to ride a 2 wheeler, I am having trouble getting him off his bike to come inside (including at bedtime!). Plus earlier in the evening he had been low. So despite the fact that I can barely keep my eyes open, I wait to be able to check his sugar (at a time that is far enough away from his last snack that it will actually give me an idea of where he is at), not trusting myself to wake up to an alarm so soon after going to sleep.
I get everything ready and poke his finger. As I begin to squeeze the blood drop out, I think about how cruel and unfair it is that I have to be making my son bleed while he so peacefully sleeps. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. beeep. 3.5! And now on top of that i have to wake him up and feed him candy. Poor guy was so exhausted earlier, as was I. Now we will be even more so.
I was reading a post earlier in which there was discussion on how unless someone lives with type 1 diabetes they can never fully understand. Sure they can hear the stories of waking up in the middle of the night and wonder how we do it. (This I can never answer as I don't even know myself, just keep going one BG check at a time!). Sure they can hear about how your child was so low he was crying and kicking you and threw chocolate pudding all over the white carpet in the bedroom during his meltdown from his low blood sugar (this was our lovely after school time). Sure they can sympathize a little when you get called from work to go to the school AGAIN (though now that I am working in the school I don't have to worry about this one anymore). But the reality unless they live with it day in, day out, 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 365 days a year, unless they can truly know the worry that is always there, unless they can truly experience getting up in the night every night know that one night it just might save your child's life, a person not living with this could never truly, completely understand all that it drains from you.
My husband always says that diabetes is sinister. It is true. Just when you think things are going well and you have good 'control' it will change all the rules and throw you for a loop. You can never let your guard down. Not only is it sinister, but this dragon won't sleep. Just because a child is sleeping, does not in anyway mean their blood sugar will behave. Even at night we need to be on guard and ready. Every night my alarm goes off at 2:00am. Sometimes I will need to set it a second time. I am hoping that this is not one of those nights because even though this diabetes dragon won't sleep, this D-mom sure needs to! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment