Thursday 19 May 2011

Sleep, no I never get enough...

As Riley Armstrong so eloquently put it "Sleep, no I never get enough. Always wakin up tired. Sleep, no I never get enough. If I don't show up I might get fired..."
(if you are not familiar with the song, you can listen to it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl0Zvw6hXMQ)
Actually I have been wanting to write this blog all week, but guess what? That's right I was just too tired. And I started a new job on Monday, so I definitely didn't want to not show up and take my chance on the firing thing. It was the best of weeks, it was the worst of weeks.
My new job has been going very well and it is a big relief to be in the school with Ezekiel and makes helping him at lunch or other times he may need it so much easier. I got a lot accomplished in my first few days, despite the lack of sleep and I think that they are happy with my work. The negatives are the earlier start time and the fact that I don't have time to go and get my daily Timmy's anymore (partly  due to the earlier start time and partly due to the lack of sleep thing. Losing another 1/2 hour of sleep isn't worth the coffee).
This is how my week started: 8:00pm Sunday and Ezekiel's pump site falls off in the bathtub. (We had just put that site on earlier that day and it was working just fine). So we change the site. I am heading to bed and I check Ezekiel's Blood sugar to find he is 18.8! I double check and it is indeed around that number. I suspect the site, but he has gone up like that randomly before so it may or may not be the site. I check for ketones, which are negative so I bolus a correction and wait. An hour later he is around the same. At this point I should have changed the site, but there were still no ketones so i corrected again and waited. I guess I wanted to be sure it was the site (partly I think because we were trying a new type of infusion set and didn't want to see the 2 samples down the drain within 8 hours). An hour (or was it an hour and a half?) later he was 25, thirsty and had wet the bed. I gave an injection and changed the site. 2 hours later he was coming down but was still quite high. Corrected again. Checked again an hour later. He was coming down nicely. In between all these checks I didn't sleep very much at all as I was stressed/worried. The next morning I started my new job.
He was pretty stable the rest of the week, so I was only up once a night to check him, but between trying to catch up from the first night and having to get up earlier and an unusually busy week (there just so happened to be more things going on in the evenings this week) I am pretty zombie-like as I type this.
And of course as a nice ending to the week, Ezekiel's pump malfunctioned. Poor guy was up late while I was on the phone to Medtronic who is sending out a new one. But in the meantime? Ezekiel refused shots and I managed to clear the button error, but none of the buttons on the pump are working. Luckily we do have a remote. I have opted to leave the pump on him and hope for the best. Of course I won't be able to fall asleep very easily and I will need to keep getting up to check him, just to be sure (which I would also have to do if we went to shots in the meantime as I don't even know what he would need for Lantus, so either way a good night's sleep is out of the question). If the pump appears not to be working I will need to put a call in to the children's diabetes doctor on call to figure out what to do. But hopefully if I don't touch the buttons it will work out fine and hopefully Medtronic is telling the truth that the new pump will be here tomorrow. I guess if it all works out that way it won't be so bad as we will have a brand new pump instead of the one we have now which has a scratched up screen. But boy, am I going to need one big coffee in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment